[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Union Catalog Submissions

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Sep 22 11:37:31 EDT 2009

Hello,

Just curious if anybody is doing or planning on doing anything interesting regarding submitting their catalogue records to an external union catalogue? Has anyone given thought to any optimal scenarios for reporting records in an external union catalogue from their Evergreen system?

Of course, there will be target system specifications (e.g. for record selection, file transfer, etc.) that one would have to conform to, and most union catalogue updating procedures use the traditional (and still effective) dump/extract & FTP approach.

So a couple of questions  / thoughts for feedback:

* Is anybody doing any automated dump/extract & FTP automation to an external union catalogue? Any thoughts from your experience?
* Thinking blue sky (so forget any specific target system specifications for the moment), what other avenues would you see being used effectively for external union catalogue updates (ideally)?  Perhaps updates via RSS for record updates / changes, etc.? Or opening up EG for bot harvesting of some kind?
* What capabilities or directions should we be encouraging our Union Catalogue partner(s) to move towards to best interact with our Evergreen ILS?

Lack of automation is one of the reasons we've been so out of date with our external contributions, but in talking to many others it's embarrassing how many of us libraries are in the same position. Hope to change that with some automation once our phase II migration to EG is complete.

Thanks,

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan