[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Union Catalog Submissions

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 22 12:28:22 EDT 2009

Apologies for cross posting - has also been posted today to OPEN-ILS-
GENERAL  with subject:

Original cataloging: the produced TCN does not seem to follow MARC

George, your scenarios assume that Evergreen can do "first" or
"original" cataloging after which your library can feed the Union
Catalogue. The Union Catalogue then needs certain MARC fields like
001 and 003 in the Evergreen library produced MARC records to figure
out who is contributing what.

And here is where our Evergreen evaluation ran into a few unknowns:

"...
We are evaluating with Evergreen 1.4  and testing  "first" or
"original" cataloging where our library & archive has unique material
and is the first in the world to catalogue.  Here is for example how
our template looks like for cataloging audio material:   http://
screencast.com/t/mM0HJcEgY

In MARC field 040 [1] in the template we pass on to Evergreen  "who
we are" as Cataloging Source: AmISG

Cataloging finished we expected Evergreen to
- construct a Title Control Number (TCN) starting with AmISG and
followed by some unique sequential number;
- to create a MARC 001 field [2]  holding that  concatenated string
"AmISG" "unique number"

What we observe is:
- "AUTO-GENERATED" instead of "AmISG", followed by a unique number
- there is no 001 field created at all; instead - only visible after
exporting the record: a 900 of Evergreen's choice:
901  \\$aAUTOGENERATED-11$bAUTOGEN$c20

Is there any Evergreen setting we forgot to look at ? Should we add a
003 field with "AmISG" to our cataloging templates ?

Surely Evergreen can do original cataloging according to MARC ?

(TCN-s already present in MARC 001 when pre-cataloging or importing
existing records are handled fine)
(I know from a question on this list by UPEI in Canada that the
string AUTO-GENERATED can be changed but that leaves the lacking
automatic 001 field generation)

Thanks, Repke, IISH

[1] http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd040.html
[2] http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd001.html
[3] http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd003.html

..."

Op 22-sep-2009, om 17:37 heeft Duimovich, George het volgende
geschreven: