[OPEN-ILS-DEV] 1.6RC1 problems with Vandelay Authority Records importing

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 23 16:14:07 EDT 2009

I have encountered the following severe problems with uploading and
importing authority records through Vandelay (MARC Batch Import /
Export) in 1.6RC1:

1) I tried to upload and import (Windows 1.t staff client) two sets
of standard MARC [1] authority records;  you can find them here:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~repke/Evergreen/
a small subset of 17 records "subset100.mrc" and a somewhat larger
one "proef103.mrc" with 1066 records

2) both upload fine in Vandelay; I ignored the sub choice "oclc" /
"sytem local" and went straight for Browse and Upload

3) however: after upload and for each of the sets of records the
staff client is not able to show the list of records: only the
heading shows, everything below is blank; playing with different
number of records per page and Previous and Next page does not help;
closing the staff client and re-inspecting the relevant queue does
not help either;

Minor: the Tab for MARC Import / Export shows as "Server Settings"

4) Step 3: the staff client does give me the Actions list however and
"in the blind" I chose "Import All" which gave more problems:

4A) the bigger set of 1066 records was imported with slow progress:
- after 45 minutes at 99 %, then it seemed to hang
- suddenly it went through the 100 % and started over again from 1 %:
this second (?) importing cycle went very slow and lasted about 20
hours (twenty ;-))
- the result  did show as 1066 imported; still no overview list of
the authority records (I remembered to uncheck the "limit to .." boxes)

4B) the small set imported much quicker but hang for a short while at
59 % ; done in an hour ; no overview list ; showed as 17 imported

5) probably a separate issue but cataloging with the K-book template
which has a 100 field and then hitting Validate did *not* present me
with one of the corresponding 17 "100" authority records I had just
imported ..   hmmmm .....

Hope this report helps  and at least the problem can be reproduced,

Repke de Vries
IISH

[1] produced by our present Geac Advance ILS and the MARCEdit tool is
happy with them, as is the FOSS ILS Koha