[OPEN-ILS-DEV] 1.6RC1 problems with Vandelay Authority Records importing

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Sep 23 18:03:58 EDT 2009

2009/9/23 Repke de Vries <repke at xs4all.nl>:
> I have encountered the following severe problems with uploading and
> importing authority records through Vandelay (MARC Batch Import / Export) in
> 1.6RC1:
> 1) I tried to upload and import (Windows 1.t staff client) two sets of
> standard MARC [1] authority records;  you can find them
> here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~repke/Evergreen/
> a small subset of 17 records "subset100.mrc" and a somewhat larger one
> "proef103.mrc" with 1066 records
> 2) both upload fine in Vandelay; I ignored the sub choice "oclc" / "sytem
> local" and went straight for Browse and Upload
> 3) however: after upload and for each of the sets of records the staff
> client is not able to show the list of records: only the heading shows,
> everything below is blank; playing with different number of records per page
> and Previous and Next page does not help; closing the staff client and
> re-inspecting the relevant queue does not help either;
> Minor: the Tab for MARC Import / Export shows as "Server Settings"
> 4) Step 3: the staff client does give me the Actions list however and "in
> the blind" I chose "Import All" which gave more problems:
> 4A) the bigger set of 1066 records was imported with slow progress:
> - after 45 minutes at 99 %, then it seemed to hang
> - suddenly it went through the 100 % and started over again from 1 %: this
> second (?) importing cycle went very slow and lasted about 20 hours (twenty
> ;-))
> - the result  did show as 1066 imported; still no overview list of the
> authority records (I remembered to uncheck the "limit to .." boxes)
> 4B) the small set imported much quicker but hang for a short while at 59 % ;
> done in an hour ; no overview list ; showed as 17 imported
> 5) probably a separate issue but cataloging with the K-book template which
> has a 100 field and then hitting Validate did *not* present me with one of
> the corresponding 17 "100" authority records I had just imported ..   hmmmm
> Hope this report helps  and at least the problem can be reproduced,
> Repke de Vries
> IISH
> [1] produced by our present Geac Advance ILS and the MARCEdit tool is happy
> with them, as is the FOSS ILS Koha

Hi Repke:

Just to help in debugging this: are you running in a virtual image -
and if so, is it a virtual image built from fresh 1.6.0.0RC1 source +
OpenSRF 1.2.0, or the old virtual image I built a few months ago? If
it's the old virtual image, I think there were bugs fixed in both
OpenSRF and Evergreen that might affect this and other functionality.

Dan