[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen 2.0 branch / Alpha 1 release

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Aug 19 13:06:50 EDT 2010

On 19 August 2010 12:44, James Fournie <james.fournie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Could you clarify what happened to OpenSRF 1.4?  Does it work with a
> specific version of Evergreen?  Is it just a development release?

Hi James:

We created the OpenSRF 1.4.0 release approximately two months ago
because it contained many optimizations over and above the 1.2 code
(that had branched approximately one year before that) and we wanted
to get them into the hands of the world. Remember that OpenSRF is a
separate project from Evergreen, even though they are obviously
intimately linked. OpenSRF 1.4.0 should work with all of the Evergreen
1.6 branches, although I'm not sure many people in the world are
actually using it.

Since OpenSRF 1.4.0 was released, a number of other significant
changes have been made to the OpenSRF code - so much so that a new
major release is warranted. The support for "chunking" of OpenSRF
messages (bundling a number of OpenSRF RESULT messages into a single
XMPP message to significantly reduce network overhead) in Perl and C
is probably the single major difference between 1.4.0 and 1.6.0.

Given that there has been little (known) adoption of OpenSRF 1.4.0 to
date, the most prudent course is probably to move directly to an
OpenSRF 1.6.0 release as the recommended infrastructure for Evergreen
2.0. This will give us an opportunity to benefit from the performance
improvements in the 1.6.0 release while shaking out any bugs that
might have been introduced post-1.2 during the Evergreen 2.0 alpha /
beta period.

Dan