[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen 2.0 branch / Alpha 1 release

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Aug 27 00:23:50 EDT 2010

A slightly overdue update (most of the following happened on Monday,
August 23rd) from the development team on the Evergreen 2.0 branch /
alpha 1 release is inline:

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 09:19 -0400, Bill Erickson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I believe the time has come to give 2.0 its own development branch in
> the Evergreen repository.  The serials merge from last week (special
> thanks to Dan Wells and Lebbeous for that) was the last big hurdle.
> The purpose of the branch is to give 2.0 a safe place to solidify
> while more experimental features continue to stream into trunk.  In
> addition, I'd like to propose that we cut a 2.0.0 Alpha release for
> community review and feedback.  It will have some rough edges, of
> course, but I think it will be nice to get eyes on the software.
>
> These are some tasks that come to mind.  I'm not the release guru,
> though, so I'm mainly listing these for clarity.  We can change to
> suit:
>
> * Create the rel_2_0 parent branch.  FWIW, I don't see a strong need
> to create the rel_2_0_0 branch just yet, since it will be equivalent
> to rel_2_0 until we cut the 2.0.0.x release.

The rel_2_0 parent branch now exists at
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/branches/rel_2_0

> * Create a rel_2_0_0_alpha1 tag, from which the first Alpha release
> will be generated.

The rel_2_0_alpha tag exists at
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/tags/rel_2_0_alpha1

> * Create a 2.0.0 Alpha 1 installation bundle and staff client build

The 2.0 alpha 1 installation bundle exists at
http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads/Evergreen-ILS-2.0-alpha1.tar.gz

No staff client build yet, though.

> * Create the OpenSRF rel_1_6 branch / cut OpenSRF 1.6.0 (as previously
> discussed)

The OpenSRF rel_1_6 branch is at
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/OpenSRF/browser/branches/rel_1_6

The OpenSRF rel_1_6_0_alpha tag is at
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/OpenSRF/browser/tags/rel_1_6_0-alpha

The OpenSRF 1.6.0-alpha installation bundle is at
http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads/OpenSRF-1_6_0-alpha.tar.gz

> The first three points assume we maintain the current
> branch/tag/release naming scheme.  There have been discussions,
> primarily in IRC, about moving to a 3-part naming scheme, like OpenSRF
> (e.g. the release would be called Evergreen 2.0.0 instead of 2.0.0.0).
> Is this still up for debate?  If so, the alpha testing phase is the
> time to decide either way, since the next planet alignment occurs at
> 3.0.  (I'm not suggesting we suspend the Alpha to debate this, just
> that we put it to bed before the first 2.0 release is cut).

As of the 2.0.0 release, Evergreen is moving to a 3-part naming scheme,
like OpenSRF, roughly following the documentation at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=versioning

> We are investigating the construction of a 1.6.1.x to 2.0 SQL upgrade
> script.  It will be.. fun, I'm sure ;)  I can't promise we'll have
> anything this week.  Is testing the 1.6.1.x -> 2.0 SQL upgrade
> critical for the first alpha cut?  I'm thinking no.
>
> Assuming general agreement on these points, I'd like to aim for having
> an alpha release or, at minimum, the branching and tagging, done by
> the end of this week.
>
> Thoughts?

I added documentation on how to install Evergreen 2.0 on Debian Squeeze
at http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=server:2.0:install and
made a virtual image (built on OpenSRF trunk / Evergreen trunk on the
same day that the 1.6.0 / 2.0 alpha releases were cut, so close enough)
available at
http://evergreen-ils.org/~denials/Evergreen_trunk_2010_08_23.zip

How are we doing?