[OPEN-ILS-DEV] need trigger for marc rec to source value

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Thu Feb 25 11:15:57 EST 2010

Hi.
Our gov docs librarian adds a lot of records to our catalogue, with no
item record, just an 856 link or 591 (local holdings note). The problem
is that the staff client doesn't allow her to change the source, and the
default behavior for the system is "untranscendent" - that is, records
without items and with null "source" values don't display to the public.

So I'd like to add to the database a trigger such that whenever an 856
or 591 tag is added to metabib.real_full_rec, IF the corresponding bib's
source is null, the source is changed to 2 (which is a transcendent
value, "system local"). I need to IF the current source because we do
big batch loads of ebook records with 856s which we will set to other
source values for those ebook sets.

Is this possible? If so, how? And would we have to worry about software
updates breaking it?

If anyone knows of plans very soon to make it possible for the staff
client to edit the source, that of course would really solve our problem
instead, so let me know if that's in the works.

Thanks!

---
Melissa Belvadi
Emerging Technologies & Metadata Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca
902-566-0581