[OPEN-ILS-DEV] need trigger for marc rec to source value

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 23:03:42 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Melissa Belvadi <mbelvadi at upei.ca> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Our gov docs librarian adds a lot of records to our catalogue, with no item
> record, just an 856 link or 591 (local holdings note). The problem is that
> the staff client doesn't allow her to change the source, and the default
> behavior for the system is "untranscendent" - that is, records without items
> and with null "source" values don't display to the public.
>
> So I'd like to add to the database a trigger such that whenever an 856 or
> 591 tag is added to metabib.real_full_rec, IF the corresponding bib's source
> is null, the source is changed to 2 (which is a transcendent value, "system
> local"). I need to IF the current source because we do big batch loads of
> ebook records with 856s which we will set to other source values for those
> ebook sets.
>
> Is this possible? If so, how? And would we have to worry about software
> updates breaking it?

At least in the case of an 856 (on Evergreen 1.6+) you can add a
subfield 9 containing the shortname (policy code) of the owning
location and forgo any dummy copies, and you don't need to set the
source to transcendent, either.

591s can't do that, and a DB trigger would be significantly
non-trivial (and dangerous in the current trunk code, risking infinite
recursion).  An external batch script -- a simple UPDATE statement
issued directly to psql, even -- run on a regular basis should be able
to do what you want, though.

> If anyone knows of plans very soon to make it possible for the staff client
> to edit the source, that of course would really solve our problem instead,
> so let me know if that's in the works.

That is, indeed, planned for the relatively near future.  You can
expect this in a release during 2010.