[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Google Chrome Frame

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 11:28:49 EDT 2010

Developing any complex, dynamic web application that must support
Internet Explorer is several orders of magnitude more painful than it
should be, or would be without IE.  If you don't think so, you're
wrong.  Full stop.

So, because IE is so broken, I'm very strongly inclined to add the
following patch (well, a better, configurable, I18N'd version of it)
to trunk in the near future.  What it does is, in IE, it gives the
user a button to click which will install Google Chrome Frame.  You
can read about it here:

http://alex.dojotoolkit.org/2010/06/beta/

Basically, it embeds the Google Chrome browser inside IE, and for web
sites that know how to request it, Chrome will render the page.  This
decreases page load time from 10s of seconds to 1s of seconds or
better, and allows standards-based functionality to actually work.

Anyway, it could be the fever making me ramble incoherently, but I
think this may be the only thing left that can save my sanity when
building UIs for public consumption in Evergreen and FulfILLment.

This patch is against trunk, but it should apply cleanly (or very
nearly) to 1.6 and 1.4.  If you test it out please respond to this
thread with any feedback.