[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Google Chrome Frame

Thomas Berezansky tsbere at mvlc.org
Wed Jun 9 12:06:18 EDT 2010

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like putting patches over
things is more of a problem than a solution.

Many users won't use the button, either due to being lazy, not
trusting installing things, or not being ABLE to. Limited users on
home computers, work machines that are locked down, etc.

Making IE support dependent on not supporting IE, basically, seems
like the wrong approach to me. It WILL have to work without Google
Chrome Frame for a lot of people, and not just because of those
people's personal preferences.

Thus, I say that if you think you can get around developing for IE by
telling people to use a different browser, even via a plugin for IE,
then you're wrong. Full stop.

Having said that, having the patch offer a given person a one-time
prompt that says Google Chrome Frame may improve speed and such with
the install button, a cookie saying not to show it again if they say
no for any reason, is perfectly fine in my eyes.

Thomas Berezansky
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium