[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Reaction to Serial Module - Development Direction from Dan Wells

Marjolein Kremer mkr at iisg.nl
Thu May 27 07:30:02 EDT 2010

We already wrote a reaction on the OPEN-ILS-GENERAL but we think it
could be appropriate to do it here as well.

As it is the first time that we have a voice on this list I'll tell you
who we are and what we have with serials  :
The IISH ( International Institute of Social History in Amsterdam) has
two streams of incoming periodicals :
1.	Subscriptions. We have about 1500 subscriptions  in our present
Serial Module  (Advance ILS  and migrating to Evergreen later this
year), in which we control the predictions, receiving, claiming and so
on. We would like to continue this.
2.	 Periodicals we receive in bulk parts. They arrive at the
Institute with a collection of books, archive, photos etc. We have
around 100.000 serial records in the database These periodicals do not
have to be linked with all the serial management data, they only need a
852 (call number) and a 866 (textual holding).

First of all I would like to say that I totally agree with your
statement  to maintain full compatibility with the MFHD standard without
the overhead of maintaining a full MFHD record. We are now in the
migration fase and we surely want to keep alle the MFHD record details
in MARC equally well, so that when exporting we have these very same
details available.
Furthermore you mentioned that the only 'serial' table currently in
production use is serial.record_entry and that you would like to hang-on
to it and phase in a new system on your own terms. That is what we want
to do as well, as we are now testing the migration against Evergreen
1.6.0.3 and we would like to do the real migration in as similar
release. We would like to switch to a new serial enhancement release
afterwards.

Marjolein Kremer
IISG
Books and Serials Acquisitions