[OPEN-ILS-DEV] EG 2.0 alpha4 problem with MARC defaults in Add MFHD Record

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Nov 3 22:49:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 09:29:07PM +0100, Repke de Vries wrote:
> At IISH  we changed the Organisational Units Structure [1], so CONS
> now is NL-AMISG (our MARC Organization Code for original cataloging)
> and BR1 has become IISG.
>
> We have Global Flags "Cat: use Internal ID for TCN Value" and "Cat:
> Maintain 001/003/035 according to the MARC21 specification" both set
> to True.
>
> When in 2.0 alpha4 Adding a MFHD Record,  the default LDR, 001, 005,
> 004, 008 are fine (can't judge the 901 $o).
>
> However the default 003, 035 an 852 seem wrong.  Any comments ?
> Should we file a bug report?

Yes, normally you should file a bug report rather than reporting bugs on
the list. However, we're here now, so... :)

> See screenshot [2]
>
> - the 003 doesn't pick NL-AMISG but IISG  (it seems to pick the
> Organization Unit Policy Code from the wrong Organizational Unit)

What organization unit is your staff client registered with? My guess is
that if you go back to the login screen, the "Workstation" field will
show something like "IISG-workstation" (or perhaps "BR1-workstation").

> - the 035 should not happen: this the very first time a MFHD record
> is created; only if some other library would take IISH's Holding
> Records, the IISH 001 and 003 should be pushed to the 035

Agreed. Just to explain what's going on under the covers is that the
MFHD record is created with an auto-generated TCN (001), then when the
record is inserted into the database the update trigger runs and the 001
gets replaced with the record ID and the old 001 gets pushed into the
035.

I can't guarantee that we'll be able to fix this before the 2.0 release.
It would be great, though, if you could at least create a bug for this
so that we can at least track it.

> - anticipating another library's Evergreen taking IISH's holding
> records: (IISG) is wrong: this should be (NL-AMISG)

If you go into the Library Settings Editor, did you set the "Cat:
Defines the control number identifier used in 001 and 035 fields"
setting for the particular branch in question? I know you want to be
working with the "CONS"-level branch, but if your workstation is
registered with the BR1/IISG-level branch, then that's where it is going
to pull its control number identifier from (or from the Organizational
Unit code, if the control number identifier library setting is not set).

> - the 852 $b is wrong:  it should have IISG (it seems to pick the
> Organization Unit Name rather than the Unit Policy Code at [correct]
> lowest Organisational Unit)

"Wrong" is not correct: http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/hd852.html says of
the 852 $b "Name is given in full or in a locally standardized
abbreviated or coded form." So MARC21 helpfully gave us plenty of rope to
hang ourself with a standard without standards on this particular
field/subfield.

And as noted above, the organizational unit chosen is based on the
staff client workstation registration.