[OPEN-ILS-DEV] French (and other) diacritics in vim

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Nov 30 09:15:00 EST 2010

Just an FYI, for those relative newbies like me who also work in bilingual environment...

Came across the trick for properly entering in French characters when using VIM (for example, when modifying the locale dtd files). I was formerly copy/pasting to add these characters - d'oh!

http://www.iwarelogic.com/blog/special-french-german-characterss-keyboard-866 (see section 2 Editors VIM and Emac):

-------
"In VIM, once you are in edit mode, you can type digraphs using <Ctrl>+k key combination and then a special character is entered using sequence of two keys. Digraphs can be defined in VIM, but with default installation, some of these are available.

   1. Umlaut/diaeresis <Ctrl>+k :a/e/i/o/u/y :A/E/I/O/U
   2. Eszett <Ctrl>+k ss
   3. Accent acute <Ctrl>+k 'a/e/i/o/u 'A/E/I/O/U
   4. Accent grave <Ctrl>+k !a/e/i/o/u !A/E/I/O/U
   5. Circumflex <Ctrl>+k >a/e/i/o/u >A/E/I/O/U
   6. Cedilla <Ctrl>+k c, C,

etc.

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan