[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ncip v2 services

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Tue Nov 30 21:06:58 EST 2010

Jonathon,

Welcome to Evergreen!

You say that you "have had some luck proving the very basic concept of
using opensrf to provide responses to ncip requests." I'd like to know
more about what you have done so far. Knowing where you are at would
help us to answer your questions.

> Does anyone on this list know how to map some basic
> ncip services to opensrf services?

No. You're breaking new ground here. However, I am sure that some of
us have some ideas. There currently is no NCIP support in Evergreen,
so there are no OpenSRF NCIP services. You'd need to create these, or
use existing Open-ILS services to get the different bits of
information that you need.

A suggestion that I would make is that you do take into account that
there are two versions of the NCIP "standard" out there, and that
version 1 is more widely implemented than version 2. Also, different
vendors implement different versions of the standard. (The standard
refers to these as profiles.) It would be nice if your work could
accommodate the implementation of different profiles, so that others
can build on your work.

Also, since you are working with XC NCIP Toolkit, you might want to
look into modernizing the Java interfaces to OpenSRF. They could use a
little attention as they lag behind the other language implementations
in features. This is something that I have intended to look into
doing, but I've been busy with more pressing things lately.

>  Is there any reference that I can
> obtain (I have already been reviewing the xmpp book from ora) ? or is
> there any information on how best to satisfy ncip (v2) requests?

The best reference that I have seen for working with OpenSRF is

http://open-ils.org/~denials/workshop.html

There is no documentation for satisfying NCIP requests with OpenSRF
because, as I say above, no one has actually done that, yet.

> thank you (all) in advance for any help you can provide - jonathon.scott

Thank you for joining the community and doing this work. Hopefully, we
can have a productive discussion that leads to something useful for
all Evergreen users. I understand that a group in Michigan also wants
to have some NCIP code written for Evergreen. It may be useful for you
to collaborate with whoever ends up developing that code as well.

Cheers,
Jason Stephenson
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium