[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Customized Cataloger Skin

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Fri Oct 22 12:37:15 EDT 2010

Anybody considering or already optimized an OPAC skin for technical services perspective?

One the one hand, I can see why using the same or similar skin in the staff client is compelling for many libraries, but from our tech staff, I hear of potential workflow improvements if the skin was optimized for cataloguers. E.g. tighter results listing (getting rid of the 'candy' like cover images), browse type result listings for subject searches, etc.

My own limitation is that I don't currently have much time to manage extra skins, and although our public skin has many of the customizations we'd need to incorporate (extra index searches for example), it also excludes a number of other features currently in the default skin  (like MARC expert search, some filters, etc. that we exclude from public view, etc.).  So it's not an easy decision of swapping one skin for the other. Additionally, I'd shy away from customizing skins right now until version 2 comes out.

For our situation at least, I suppose I could start by using our customized OPAC skin and just getting rid of some of the superfluous features (like all the wasted space used by departmental "look & feel" requirements, etc.), without doing too much extra overhaul.

In any event, I'm just curious if anybody's done anything substantial re: skin customization for technical services staff?

Thanks,

George

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan