[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** question about metabib.rec_descriptor.char_encoding

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Thu Sep 9 08:25:24 EDT 2010

Hi. We're trying to troubleshoot a problem we're having with the z39.50
target server.
We think it has something to do with the value of the 9th field in the
leader, the character encoding field, which can according to MARC rules
have values of blank or 'a' but maybe z39.50 can only handle records
with an 'a' and perhaps gives a nasty Zoom error when it encounters
records that are other than 'a'.

I've noticed that in the metaib.rec_descriptor table, there is a column
called char_encoding, but it has no data in it for any of our bibs - the
entire column is null.

So my questions are:
1. is metabib.rec_descriptor.char_encoding in fact referring to the 9th
position in the MARC leader?
2. if so, should it be populated (that is, is this a bug just for us,
or is no one getting any data in that column)?
3. is this column used by the z39.50/Zoom code?

Thanks!

---
Melissa Belvadi
Emerging Technologies & Metadata Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca
902-566-0581