[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** question about metabib.rec_descriptor.char_encoding

Joe Atzberger jatzberger at esilibrary.com
Thu Sep 9 10:37:35 EDT 2010

The problem is often that the leader/09 is not set correctly for the data in
the record itself.  That is to say, when the record contains UTF8 data, but
the leader/09 is blank, the data is incorrect.  You can verify this by
directly viewing the MARC output from the source system, or by using
yaz-client on the command-line with the appropriate settings.

Many systems, including common proprietary and open source platforms failed
to flip that indicator when encoding the record for import.  There is no
great way to resolve this problem except by fixing the data or preprocessing
it.  I'm sure other Evergreen users have encountered this problem, so there
may already be a script to help diagnose or fix.  For reference, here's a
script I wrote for Koha to attempt fixing records in that system:

http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=misc/maintenance/MARC21_utf8_flag_fix.pl;h=e7e915651e8f18c979caf62fede5eaedc69b2165;hb=HEAD

--Joe Atzberger,
Equinox Software, Inc.