[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Sorry ... Does EVERGREEN support anything other than MySQL? We have standardized on Oracle and SQL Server.

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Apr 7 11:55:56 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Rogan Hamby wrote:
> I've never heard of Evergreen on MySQL actually.  Out of the box it runs PostgreSQL though with enough hacking anything could be made to work.  It would be a lot.  I'm not sure MySQL would scale up to the size many Evergreen installs would need.  I've never used MySQL for anything larger than ~2gig databases.

MySQL can support very large databases, but in the case of Evergreen, it wouldn't be trivial to port to MySQL, since Evergreen uses a lot of stored procedures (and more all the time) and MySQL's support for stored procedures is still weak.

> As for Evergreen supporting Oracle or SQL Server (MS?) I don't know of any projects to support that.  PostgreSQL for all it's oddities is very robust and a great oss alternative for those who need the ability to scale up really large.

Postgres is indeed an excellent choice for Evergreen.  Oracle and SQL Server has comparable features, but in my opinion there's little compelling reason for a library considering Evergreen to go through the pain of the development it would take to support either proprietary RDBMS unless they were (a) dead set on using Evergreen (which is a good thing, of course) and (b) dead set on remaining a pure Oracle or SQL Server shop.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton