[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Website Redesign Patch

Anoop Atre anoop.atre at mnsu.edu
Fri Apr 8 12:40:21 EDT 2011

My responses are below, once the changes, errors, typos, etc are dealt
with I will send out another patch.

> Poking at it in IE9 (ugh):
>
>    * First line under "Source code repository" on the Downloads ->
> Evergreen page runs outside of the expected right-hand margin. Same
> problem for the last line in Downloads ->  OpenSRF :: "Developing on
> OpenSRF", and the first line in Downloads ->  OpenSRF :: "Source Code
> Repository"

Fixed - I am using a new CSS class "content" for most of the paragraphs,
it justifies the content which makes it look a bit weird on some shorter
paragraphs so I did not use it consistently. I've now used the class for
the lines you mention and some others.

>    * (nit): typo on Downloads ->  OpenSRF: s/introductary/introductory/

Fixed! (do'h)

>    * On listserv.php, "Our policy" is bold; would suggest moving this
> sentence into the previous paragraph and removing the bold from "Our
> policy". Also, "really exceptional" is redundant; "exceptional" should
> do. I would also move the "Please send a request to..." sentence into
> the same paragraph, as all three sentences relate to the same issue.

Done. More or less. I'd rather leave the first line on it's own so it
stands out (yes I know it's already bold : ).

> It may also be worth noting that even if we were to address a problem
> in our copy of the mailing list archives, it will already have been
> indexed by search engines and will be in all list subscriber's email
> accounts.

I actually had addressed the caching/mirroring on the main Communicate
page, it seemed a bit wordy to include on the irc/listserv pages so took
it out. - http://ur1.ca/3sjh6

It's now available, formatted slightly different, on the irc and
listserv pages (as per your suggestion).

>      * General issue: I'm starting to worry about how many things point
> to "feedback at evergreen-ils.org" for resolution (wiki accounts, now
> mailing list administration) when the address was really intended for
> "questions from people who aren't comfortable signing up to&  posting
> to a public mailing list". I don't think the people behind
> feedback at evergreen-ils.org have any powers to admin the mailing lists.

Let's leave it as feedback@ for now and replace it later.

As far as I've seen we have two email addresses used:
Dokuwiki account/documentation questions - docs at evergreen-ils.org
General feedback - feedback at evergreen-ils.org

We need a generic one for anything related to website content
(*.evergreen-ils.org) say - web at evergreen-ils.org

>      * More lines busting out of their margins: last lines in "General
> Mailing List", "Governance Mailing List", "Evergreen Documentation",
> (and if I shrink the window enough) "Development and Commit Lists".
> I'm guessing this is a problem with CSS on A tags?

Fixed. It's as I mentioned above, me not being consistent (on purpose).

>    * On irc.php - Same suggestions as for listserv.php on grouping the
> transparency/logging/remediation policies

Done.

>    * On "Documentation", the "Process documentation" seems like a
> strange fit now that most of those points are covered under the
> "Contribute" header ("Develop code" == "How to participate", "Feature
> request procedure" is the same) and "Watch us work" is listed on both
> the mailing list page and the downloads page (at least the commits
> mailing lists are listed, as well as a link to the entire SVN repo;
> perhaps we need to add the pertinent timeline views to the Downloads
> page and then we can get rid of "Watch us work")?

I'd like to leave it as it is on the main documentation.php page
(changed "Process Documentation" to "Development process documentation")
and have now changed the drop down menu entries. Also added "watch us
work" under the SVN section on the Evergreen and OpenSRF downloads pages.

> Sorry for the mix of CSS-ish and content-ish comments. This is great
> work, Anoop!

Thanks I'd been putting it for a long time and am happy it's finally done.

Anoop Atre
IS Developer & Integrator, MnPALS
PH: 507.389.5060
OF: 3022 Memorial Library (Office-ML 3022)
--
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens"
  ~ Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller