[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Website Redesign Patch

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Apr 8 09:45:27 EDT 2011

On 7 April 2011 20:17, Anoop Atre <anoop.atre at mnsu.edu> wrote:
> Attached is the patch with the website redesign I've made this week. The
> images go into /img and are required for the pure css menu.
>
> There is considerable design and content changes in this update especially
> to the downloads page and the menu. I have tested it in Firefox (3.6),
> Chromium (10), Chrome (10) and IE (8) on Linux (Lucid), Windows (XP) and OS
> X (10.6) and the site seems to render correctly.

Poking at it in IE9 (ugh):

  * First line under "Source code repository" on the Downloads ->
Evergreen page runs outside of the expected right-hand margin. Same
problem for the last line in Downloads -> OpenSRF :: "Developing on
OpenSRF", and the first line in Downloads -> OpenSRF :: "Source Code
Repository"
  * (nit): typo on Downloads -> OpenSRF: s/introductary/introductory/
  * On listserv.php, "Our policy" is bold; would suggest moving this
sentence into the previous paragraph and removing the bold from "Our
policy". Also, "really exceptional" is redundant; "exceptional" should
do. I would also move the "Please send a request to..." sentence into
the same paragraph, as all three sentences relate to the same issue.
It may also be worth noting that even if we were to address a problem
in our copy of the mailing list archives, it will already have been
indexed by search engines and will be in all list subscriber's email
accounts.
    * General issue: I'm starting to worry about how many things point
to "feedback at evergreen-ils.org" for resolution (wiki accounts, now
mailing list administration) when the address was really intended for
"questions from people who aren't comfortable signing up to & posting
to a public mailing list". I don't think the people behind
feedback at evergreen-ils.org have any powers to admin the mailing lists.
    * More lines busting out of their margins: last lines in "General
Mailing List", "Governance Mailing List", "Evergreen Documentation",
(and if I shrink the window enough) "Development and Commit Lists".
I'm guessing this is a problem with CSS on A tags?
  * On irc.php - Same suggestions as for listserv.php on grouping the
transparency/logging/remediation policies
  * On "Documentation", the "Process documentation" seems like a
strange fit now that most of those points are covered under the
"Contribute" header ("Develop code" == "How to participate", "Feature
request procedure" is the same) and "Watch us work" is listed on both
the mailing list page and the downloads page (at least the commits
mailing lists are listed, as well as a link to the entire SVN repo;
perhaps we need to add the pertinent timeline views to the Downloads
page and then we can get rid of "Watch us work")?

Sorry for the mix of CSS-ish and content-ish comments. This is great
work, Anoop!