[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Functions for updating the call number label or owning_lib associated with a copy

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Fri Apr 15 08:31:58 EDT 2011

In regards to documentation, I wonder if an official procedures or documentation formats could be in place for developers to ensure that basic documentation is provided on purpose and basic usage for any new tools, functions or resources for Evergreen. I can see these db functions being very valuable for Evergreen users, but they would even be more valuable to the common user if they are well documented quickly so that they find their way to the official documentation so all users can find out about them. E.g. could it be required that any new evergreen feature be submitted with a one page AsciiDoc document explaining the purpose, usage and parameters of a feature/function/etc...

There was some discussion of AsciiDoc a while ago and it seems like a pretty good format for developer documentation, I am not sure if AsciiDoc or using the community wiki is easier for most developers? Perhaps standard documentation procedures could be discussed at a future developer meeting or has it already been discussed a lot in the past? Perhaps a standard template could be created for feature documentation provided by developers?

I am also still wondering about the purpose of this docs folder in the Evergreen repo:
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/trunk/docs

It looks like it has been a year since any of these files have been updated and there are only a few files there some of which look like remnants of where the official documentation repository was supposed to be. I wonder if this folder could be either better used for code/feature documentation or if this folder is an unnecessary remnant of days gone past?

Regards,
Robert

Robert Soulliere, BA (Hons), MLIS
Systems Librarian