[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Installation Support on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Fri Dec 9 10:23:57 EST 2011

Hi,

This is a follow up to my "Attention Ubuntu Users" email from the
other day. The follow up is to say that the work for installing
OpenSRF and Evergreen on the upcoming Ubuntu Long Term Support release
is done. I have successfully installed OpenSRF and Evergreen on a
virtual machine running Unbuntu 12.04 alpha1. So far, everything I
have tested is working.

I have opened a launchpad bug to request that the necessary Makefile
and README changes get pulled into the master repositories for OpenSRF
and Evergreen:

In the meantime, if you want to test the build yourself, you can check
out the mentioned branches or merge them into your development
branches and have at it.

If you want to build a VM for running Ubuntu 12.04 on a host running
Ubuntu 10.04, I have some suggestions that will save you a lot of time.

1. Use vmbuilder to build your VM. (I assume you're doing this already
and know what you're doing.)

2. Download and install the debs at this URL:

http://mirror.mvlcstaff.org/downloads/

They will add the necessary configuration so that you can build VMs in
vmbuilder for "suites" more current than Lucid. (You can also skip the
python-vm-builder-ec2_0.12.4+bzr471-0ubuntu2_all.deb unless you want
to build for ec2.)

3. In your vmbuilder.conf set up your ubuntu target as follows:

[ubuntu]
suite=precise
virtio_net=1
mirror=http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

You will, of course, need to include any other options that you need
for networking, etc.

Then, you should be able to build your VM with vmbuilder in the usual way.

The Evergreen branch also changes the installation of pre-requisites
for Ubuntu Lucid. This was necessary because more things are
installable as debs on Ubuntu Precise in a working state, so fewer
things need to be installed from source or from CPAN.

The Evergreen branch also changes 1 installation package on Lucid so
that the xml-rpc gateway will actually work out of the box.

As always, have fun, and be sure to ask any questions that you may
have either on the list or in IRC.

Cheers,
Jason Stephenson
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium