[OPEN-ILS-DEV] MARC Record Import from txt

Elliot Voris evoris at slcconline.edu
Wed Dec 14 11:04:27 EST 2011

Thank you so much, Dan!

This has been really helpful. The sample script you gave me worked without a flaw! I did run into one problem so far, though. I uploaded my file (which was largely based on yours) and ran it through webmin (Is there a preferred way to run a .sql script on Evergreen, or does it even make a difference?), and it didn't give me any output until the script was completely run (about 8 hourse, btw). The output that I finally got was a list of the following:

**Note, the carat (^) should be placed under the first single-quote (')**

BEGIN
CREATE TABLE
psql:/tmp/.webmin/318880_1_exec_file.cgi:23410: WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
LINE 8: ('<record xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instan...
         ^
HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for escapes, e.g., E'\r\n'.
psql:/tmp/.webmin/318880_1_exec_file.cgi:23410: WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
LINE 9: ('<record xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instan...
         ^
LINE 10: ('<record xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instan...
          ^
HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for escapes, e.g., E'\r\n'.
psql:/tmp/.webmin/318880_1_exec_file.cgi:23410: WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
LINE 11: ('<record xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instan...

There's a line like that for each entry in the file. And then there's this at the bottom of the output:

psql:/tmp/.webmin/318880_1_exec_file.cgi:23410: WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
LINE 23403: ('<record xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instan...
             ^
HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for escapes, e.g., E'\r\n'.
psql:/tmp/.webmin/318880_1_exec_file.cgi:23410: WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
LINE 23404: ('<record xmlns="http://www.loc.gov/MARC21/slim" xmlns:marc=...
             ^
HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for escapes, e.g., E'\r\n'.
INSERT 0 23404
psql:/tmp/.webmin/318880_1_exec_file.cgi:23412: ERROR:  Tag "" is not a valid tag. at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/MARC/File/SAX.pm line 113
CONTEXT:  PL/Perl function "maintain_control_numbers"
psql:/tmp/.webmin/318880_1_exec_file.cgi:23414: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
ROLLBACK

 I mimicked the formatting and syntax of the file you sent very closely. A MARC record in my script looks like this: ('<MARC record info>'), so I'm not sure where I went wrong. I find it interesting that the first error appears to be on line 8, but lines 6,7 have MARC records on them, as well.

Any idea how I might be able to get this info into my database?

Thanks, again!

Elliot J Voris