[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen Perl modules in trunk - heads up

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Feb 1 18:24:39 EST 2011

I realized I should bring this to the attention of anyone developing
against trunk, in case they missed my commit from a few nights back that
brought Module::Build into play for the Evergreen Perl modules. The
upshot is that the Evergreen Perl modules will now be installed into the
local Perl install lib path, the same as the OpenSRF Perl modules have
been for several releases now. This means that if you're munging
PERL5LIB to point at /openils/lib/perl5:$PERL5LIB, any updates to the
Perl modules that get installed into /usr/local/share/perl/ (or
wherever) will probably be masked by the older versions of the Perl
modules in /openils/lib/perl5.

So... in trunk, it will probably be a good idea to remove
/openils/lib/perl5 real soon now, before you start modifying Perl
modules and installing them and wondering why you're seeing no visible
changes in their behaviour.

And if we start to write an "upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1" document, I
guess this will be an important step - just like it was for upgrading
OpenSRF a while back.