[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Monograph Parts

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Tue Feb 15 16:35:54 EST 2011

Hello Mike,

At first glance I think this is a very welcome development, and I have a just a few comments.  First, I would advocate for some kind of a 'label_sortkey' on biblio.monograph_part.  Even if all it did was pad numbers, it would solve 95% of 'part' sorting problems.  Second, and perhaps this was already discarded as a simplification measure, but I think we should consider dropping the primary key on asset.copy_part_map.target_copy to allow for multiple parts per copy.  This would not only better reflect reality in certain cases, but I think it could also lay some groundwork for future bound-with functionality (put 'part's on your boundwith records (or let the map point to a part *or* a record), then sever the link from call_number to record).

Dan

Daniel Wells, Library Programmer Analyst dbw2 at calvin.edu
Hekman Library at Calvin College
616.526.7133