[OPEN-ILS-DEV] 1.6.1 - 2.0 upgrade documentation

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Wed Feb 16 11:36:09 EST 2011

Hi Robert,

Looks like a great start to me.  I think it would be good to include
some caveats in an introductory paragraph.  Some things to include might
be that there may be an upgrade required to get to PostgreSQL 8.4 (which
is the minimum required version).  Also, I'm unsure about 2.0
compatibility with OS other than Debian Squeeze and Ubuntu Lucid; so we
may want to include a mention that some may wish to upgrade their OS as
well.  I know that some library sites have begun investigating this
process.  Both of those might be outside the actual scope of being
described in any great detail for the Book of Evergreen though.

I don't think step 7 for the bootstrapping works with 2.0 (I vaguely
recall trying that and getting an error).  The offline half of that is
probably worth doing though.

In step 8, the server symlink should read rel_2_0_1 instead of 1_6_1_5.

For step 11, the oils_web.xml file should already exist if they had
installed 1.6.1.x previously (but it's good to refresh that just in case).

For step 12, I would add a warning that any local customizations made to
opensrf.xml or opensrf_core.xml would need to be redone.  Same for steps
14, 15, 16, but I see you added that warning to step 17, so that's great.

I'll think about it some more, but a wonderful start!

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum
Open Source Software Coordinator