[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Upgrading to 2.0 DB (check your sequences!)

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Sun Feb 20 16:25:38 EST 2011

Hi all,

Mike asked me to post this to the -dev list, so here we go:

Earlier this weekend, we began the upgrade process from Evergreen 1.6.1
to 2.0.  Specifically our production environment is 1.6.1.3 and we're
going to 2.0.1.  We used the upgrade scripts included in the
2.0.1.tar.gz file and went from there.  Some helpful steps were taken
from the wiki:
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=upgrading:evergreen
specifically for 1.6.1 to 2.0 and 2.0.0 to 2.0.1.

One problem we noted along the way was that the initial
1.6.1-2.0.0-upgrade-db.sql failed for us because of a bad sequence in
our DB.  In our case, this occurred due to something around line 2605 of
the script, where it called to create some new sample action/trigger
events.  Since we already had custom action/triggers, but did not bump
the sequence correctly (this is why direct editing for database entries
can be bad!), the script failed and the upgrade was initially
unsuccessful.  Bumping the sequence "action_trigger.event_params_id_seq"
to a higher number fixed our problem and we were able to run the upgrade
script again to successfully upgrade to 2.0.0.  The subsequent 2.0.1
went through without any issues.

A nice aspect of the 1.6.1-2.0.0 upgrade script is that most things are
run within a transaction, so multiple attempts to run the upgrade script
did not result in troubles.  Devs++ for giving us a smooth upgrade to 2.0.

Assuming all else goes well, hoping to be "live" on Tuesday.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum
Open Source Software Coordinator