[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Firefox blank screen

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Tue Jan 25 10:19:21 EST 2011

Hi Grant,

Thanks for bring this up.  I've been meaning to discuss the work we've done
on this...

The crux of the problem is a Firefox/Xulrunner bug that causes the page
"onload" to fire prematurely.  When it happens, it occurs directly after a
closing </script> tag.  The only way we (ESI) have found to combat the issue
is to perform some pretty heavy surgery to how the OPAC loads and executes
Javascript in Firefox and Xulrunner.  It's not an ideal solution, though,
because it does not work in IE (due to variable scoping issues), so it
requires two separate JS loading techniques for FF vs. non-FF, and because
it slows down an already logy page load for Firefox and Xulrunner by loading
some scripts via AJAX instead of letting the browser parallelize the script
are cached, the speed difference is negligible).

There is an ESI Git branch at
http://git.esilibrary.com/?p=evergreen-equinox.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/opac-refactorwith
our initial work in this direction.  (It is now updated to trunk).  In
order to be useful, though, it would need community adoption and some
cleanup.  If there was community consensus on using this strategy, at least
for the short-term, it should merge into trunk and 2.0 with relative ease.

-b

--
Bill Erickson