[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Packaging and LiveCD

Ben Webb bjwebb67 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 13 17:49:56 EDT 2011

All neccessary packages for Evergreen are now packaged for debian and
fedora, although there may still be some hiccoughs especially for the
fedora packages (which I have mainly been testing in a chroot so far).

I've been looking at splitting up the debian package add enabling
additional functionality - currently the evergreen-ils source package
builds evergreen-ils (main code), evergreen-ils-client (the staff
client) and evergreen-ils-python (the python modules). Similairly the
opensrf source package builds opensrf and opensrf-python. Similarily,
there could be -java packages when java support builds correctly. The
packages could be split further, to have -perl, -c, -srfsh packages,
or even indvidual components, but I question how useful that would be
at this point in time (but maybe there is a demand for it).

As promised I've been working on creating an evergreen livecd. I'm
mostly done with getting a basic evergreen install working in the
livecd environment, but need to do some testing on a physical machine.
(Since the livecd works by loading a lot of things into RAM, it is
hard to work with in a virtual machine, with my spec anyway.) In the
next few days I should have an example iso to demonstrate. However due
to the size of this (currently 936MB) I I'm not sure I have space to
host it myself. Would it be possible to use one of the Evegreen
community's servers for hosting this?

I've also started looking at boxgrinder[1], a fedora based tool for
building virtual machine images. Once I have this building working
Evergreen installs, I plan to look into using it as the basis for
thorough clean install tests. Whilst there is already exists an
evergreen testing server based on buildbot, this performs unit tests
on the codebase after it has just been built. Since boxgrinder allows
the dynamic generation of custom virtual machines, tests could also be
automatically performed on a functioning clean installation.

Regards,
Ben

[1] http://boxgrinder.org/