[OPEN-ILS-DEV] "Choose a library to search" behavior in the opac

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Tue Jun 14 00:46:01 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Michele Morgan <mmorgan at noblenet.org> wrote:
> We have the following setup in our 2.0.6 test system:
>
> Our Org tree is set up as:
>
> - Consortium
> -- System
> --- Branch
> ---- Department
>
> In our copies, we have set the Owning Lib (asset.call_number.owning_lib) at
> the Department level and the Circulation Library (asset.copy.circ_lib) set
> at the Branch level.

Interesting.  This is the first time I've seen such an arrangement
(owning library being a child of the circ library).  Usually, the
owning lib and the circ lib are the same, though the circ lib will
change for rotating and floating collections.

> With this setup, we've been able to create circulation policies that work as
> we intend based on the Owning Lib (Department). Also, the copies don't
> transit when checked in at a workstation registered to the branch. This all
> works well.
<snip>

I assume avoiding transits is the big motivator here?  Hrmm.  It may
be worthwhile to develop a setting for suppressing transits if the
check-in library is within a certain proximity to the item circulating
library.  Or a field or mapping table that says treat lib A as lib B
for the purpose of transits, etc.  That may be easier than re-working
the OPAC and associated searches.  Then your circ libs can equal your
owning libs and everything else will just work.

--
Jason Etheridge