[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Server-side OPAC development project: an introduction

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Wed Mar 9 10:06:23 EST 2011

Hi all,

Thanks for the testing and words of encouragement!

Installing over Evergreen 2.0 requires additional undocumented changes.
 (From memory, oils_auth.c, Actor.pm, Circ/Holds.pm, Circ/Money.pm, and
Utils/CStoreEditor.pm, plus service restarts).  For now, you can still do
basic searching without these changes, but in a week or two, the template
code will start using the new (recently merged to trunk/2.1) SVF
infrastructure, which means 2.0 will be unusable as a baseline install.

For those not accustomed to Git, I added a note in the how-to about keeping
a local checkout up to date.

When and how these changes may be merged into Evergreen will require
community discussion and planning.  Our (Equinox's) goal is to have a
drop-in replacement for the KCLS skin this summer.  Along the way, for the
code to be generally usable by the community, it will be necessary to
extract the KCLS-isms (i.e. break the templates up into chunks that can be
locally overlayed) from the skin and replace them with reasonable Evergreen
defaults.  This process is where community input and assistance will be
needed.  ESI will help queue this up, but we need the community to act as
the final arbiter of function and style for the default skin.

-b

--
Bill Erickson