[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Configuration Interface Proposition

Joseph Lewis joehms22 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:22:56 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I was looking through the Google Summer of Code projects page and found one
that I think would like to implement, and would like to run some ideas
through the community before I send out an actual proposition, here is the
original advertisement:

*Bring sanity to the Evergreen configuration interface*

> *Problem:* There are currently 139 individual settings that a library can
> change within one interface in the Evergreen staff client. The presentation
> is a simple alphabetical list, with no further means of filtering these
> settings. Help for these rather complex settings is limited to a single
> string. There is no provision for tracking changes to the system
> configuration over time to correlate configuration changes to problems that
> may be observed. This interface is daunting for system administrators and
> would greatly benefit from a skilled user interface designer/implementer.
> *Required skills:* JavaScript, CSS
> *Level of difficulty:* Easy to medium
> *Mentors: *Galen Charlton

If I'm not mistaken then this page is found under: *Admin > Local
Administration > Library Settings Editor*

Here is what I propose, please reply with any hints/desires/tips, or if I'm
entirely off in what was desired.

   - Page keyword search (JavaScript)
   - Complete descriptions of each configuration (it looks like this is
   stored in the database)
   - Re-Organize the page in to logical sections and sub-sections with easy
   links at the top.
   - Add an introduction to the page.
   - Some configurations should have inputs other than a standard text-box
   for usability (database row type?)
   - Some kind of tracking may want to be added probably to a log, or
   another database table could be set up, so the system could be "revision
   controlled"

I look forward to hearing from you,
   Joe

--
Public Key: [0xF8462E1593141C16]<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF8462E1593141C16>

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system
which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
- NASA