[OPEN-ILS-DEV] libjs vs threads

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:29:22 EDT 2011

So, nobody should install libjs and JavaScript::SpiderMonkey with
thread support on Debian Lenny or Ubuntu Hardy if they want to use
legacy hold and circ scripts.  Trust me.  For realz!

Attached is a patch to Makefile.install that splits threaded and
non-threaded based on the version of libthreads-perl that comes with
the distribution.  From Dan Scott, via IRC:

21:13 < dbs> ahh. there was a significant threading fix in
libthreads-perl 1.73 - and lenny has libthreads-perl 1.71
21:13 < dbs> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/libt/libthreads-perl/libthreads-perl_1.71-1/changelog
- not touched since 2008, nice and stable
             and broken
21:15 < dbs> I still want to be able to reproduce the problem to
ensure that we're in the clear with 1.73+

That last part is why this is not currently committed.  But, I can say
without a doubt, something like this would be advisable if you are
planning to run Evergreen 2.0+ on Lenny or Hardy.  You've been warned!
 (A permanent fix will go in after some more testing.)