[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Open-ils-dev Digest, Vol 60, Issue 22

Ashish Mukherjee ashish.mukherjee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 16:12:32 EDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

I came across the Google Summer of Code project ideas and was considering
taking up the task of providing Full-Text Search. Though new to the project
yet, would be glad if I could contribute to it.

I have a bunch of related questions -

1) What's the codebase we'll be developing on - 1.6 or 2.x?
2) Do we have a deployment architecture diagram somewhere? For instance, do
we have info somewhere of how many servers we have, distribution etc.?
3) Do we have metrics related to usage/load and the like, based on which we
can test scalability of our full-text search feature?
4) The GSoc Wiki page mentions Solr, Sphinx as examples of FTS engines.
However, has any preliminary analysis already been done to determine what
may be most suitable or are we leaning toward any particular choice for any
reason at this point?
5) I see client and library code provided in different languages
(java,perl,python) for the ILS. Is development of client code in all these
languages within the scope of this project, or is it just the server which
sends out a Web Service response?
6) Are there any other design considerations or constraints or any other
traps and pitfalls the developer to go ahead?

Thanks for your time.

Ashish