[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Unexpectedly dying of authority_control_fields script when parallel processing

Chris Roosendaal christian.roosendaal at gmail.com
Thu May 26 04:55:44 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I would like to bring up this subject again because we will try to run the
authority_control_fields.pl script on our database another time this week.
We divided the whole process in eight batches, and since every batch takes
between 8 and 10 hours to complete, we would definitely like a parallel
approach. Unfortunately this approach did not succeed earlier as can be read
in this email thread.

I would like to know: do the problems we encounter have to do with our
Evergreen setup? We have a machine to run the scripts on, which is a
relatively slow dual core machine, connected to a separate fast machine with
eight cores. Could the scripts run into trouble because the CPU is too slow
to run 8 authority_control_fields.pl processes in parallel? Or maybe a lack
of memory?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Roosendaal.