[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Read Only File-system

Rick Scott rick at shadowspar.dyndns.org
Fri May 27 09:38:56 EDT 2011

(Joseph Lewis:)
> I'm trying to keep snapshots of my Evergreen development environment in
> VirtualBox, but whenever I take one then restore it, I get a read-only fs;
> any ideas?

Hi Joe,

Is your host (non-virtual) machine using an ext4 filesystem, by chance?
I had serious problems with the VMs' filesystems getting corrupted when
running VirtualBox from an ext4 disk.  None of the configuration changes
mentioned in the various VirtualBox support forums seemed to help.
Finally I gave up and created an ext3 filesystem just for my ~/.VirtualBox
directory, which solved the problem.  VirtualBox just doesn't seem to
like ext4's approach to handling disk I/O at all.

Cheers,
Rick
--
key B2480CA6 / print D0E7 6EBB A448 B31D 691E  3F44 71D8 8993 B248 0CA6
If you rush, you just make people laugh.