[OPEN-ILS-DEV] bringing more developers into the fold

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Tue Nov 1 15:51:42 EDT 2011

Thanks Ben and Dan,

FYI, the first time I asked for developer feedback to the document (in
September), I specifically inquired about both issues you raise here.  And,
in fact, I asked for your blessing to reorganize some of the content on the
site to that it was a bit more easy to follow (thus potentially eliminating
the need for a separate document).

I'll repeat those questions again now that I've got your attention!  ;)

I agree that having a document living outside of the wiki/website is not a
good idea but I didn't feel comfortable making changes to these pages on my
own.

Here's what I sent out before:

Hi All,

I've been looking over the EG website to pull together resources that would
help new developers get involved.  In doing so, I've found a lot of overlap
and perhaps a couple things that need to be updated.

Would anyone object to moving the "Contributing Code" section of this page:
 http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contributing

to this page:
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:contributing_code

And of course, we should link the "contributing" page to to
"contributing_code" page.

Also, on the
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:contributing_code page
there are references to Java Script and the OPAC code that I think may be
out of date given the change to Template Toolkit. Could someone update that
or tell me how it should be changed to be more accurate?

Also, on this page:
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:summer_of_coding_ideas,
are there any projects listed here that are now completed or in the works?
 I'd like to share this list with potential developers as part of my
attempt to enlist new developers in our project.

Also, I think this list of core committers might be out of date.  Shouldn't
Tom Brz. from MVLc be on the list here:
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contributing:contributors?

I'm working on a document that I can pass around to Perl programmers and
others interested in getting involved with Evergreen. When I get answers to
the above questions, I'll be happy to make the changes on the wiki (if I
can) as well as my document which I'll then share for others.

Lori