[OPEN-ILS-DEV] bringing more developers into the fold

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Nov 1 12:02:04 EDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 10:22:32AM -0400, Ben Shum wrote:
> Hi Lori,
>
> Overall read pretty well to me.  One tidbit I saw was that the list
> of core committers on page 2 did not include Thomas Berenzansky from
> Merrimac Valley Library Consortium.  His name is on the wiki page
> equivalent:
> http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contributing:contributors

Yes, this is a general problem with duplication of content outside of a
content authoring system. Similarly, if the processes change it's out of
our hands for getting those changes pushed into this dev intro document
(which maybe needs to exist in the official documentation instead)?

> Another question I had, and this is more for the developers involved
> (Jason, Dan, and Galen), but regarding the Google Summer of Code
> content and ideas... since this was a special project during the
> summer of 2011 (which is past now?), is there continued commitment
> from the original mentors for each of the specified ideas and

Good point. I personally can't commit to mentoring anything at any
random point in time; my commitment was to mentoring a project during
the summer of 2011. I would like to be able to participate next summer,
but can't guarantee that, and I certainly can't commit to anything right
away.

> proposals listed?  Otherwise, both the wiki page http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:summer_of_coding_ideas
> and this document ought to be altered slightly to reflect the
> differences.  Alternatively, the wiki page does not seem to

Yes, in my opinion at least, the page should be altered accordingly.

> specifically mention the Google Summer of Code project anymore, but
> is more vague in its wording "summer of coding project ideas".
> Perhaps aiming for a more generic "Community Coding Project Ideas"
> might be best?

Sounds good to me. Idea being that these are ideas that have been raised
and vetted (at some level) by the Evergreen developer community as being
valuable & feasible with an appropriate level of scope for a particular
time & level of developer.