[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Idea percolator

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Nov 9 15:25:48 EST 2011

Hi all,

The web team has recently been discussing ways that the community can share
ideas of enhancements they would like to see in Evergreen. We are pursuing
the implementation of an "idea percolator" where these ideas can be shared
and where people with similar interests can perhaps find each other to fund
the enhancements. We see this as a mechanism that will primarily be used by
non-developers from the Evergreen community who may have particular use
cases for enhancements but don't necessarily know the technical details of
how to make it happen. We would like to make sure that whatever process is
developed dovetails nicely with the current development workflow.

We've come up with a preliminary workflow for the idea percolator working
that is available at
http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=webteam:idea_percolator_wo
rkflow.

The team is now in the process of reviewing implementation options to
determine which will best support the workflow we developed. We've had
discussions with SITKA to learn about their implementation of IdeaTorrent,
and we're also looking at using the wiki, using Launchpad, or developing a
custom Drupal app.

We welcome any comments or questions from the community on the workflow
we've developed thus far. If there are any factors we may not have
considered or if there is anything that would help this workflow fit more
easily into the current development process, let us know.

Thank you!
Kathy Lussier

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator