[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Normalization of e-mail addresses and phone numbers in patron data

Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley lebbeous at esilibrary.com
Thu Nov 10 11:59:25 EST 2011

On 11/08/2011 02:13 PM, Jason Etheridge wrote:
>> If I understand the second half of your paragraph above, however, your
>> mapping table idea would only apply if we agree to store SMS contact
>> information as e-mail addresses, rather than phone numbers, correct?
>
> I think that's a bad idea if true.  Never know when these gateway
> thingies might change, or when someone may decide to wire in a 3rd
> party SMS service to use instead of free e-mail gateways.  Sending
> information to arbitrary email addresses could be another feature
> worth developing (if folks are willing to risk the spamming of cell
> phones, there shouldn't be anything wrong with email).  So for
> example, in the sms_msgs branch, right now we're putting (SMS) links
> next to call numbers.   That could evolve into (Send) or (Action)
> links that include options for SMS, email, Facebook Like, Google +1,
> etc.
>
> And then maybe format options could be made available as well (Full,
> Brief, Concise, etc.)

I agree with what Jason says about sticking with phone numbers rather
than email addresses for SMS notification for now.

I am not opposed to changes to shared addresses, nor am I opposed to
extending that sharing design to email addresses and phone numbers at
some point.  If those ideas are still being hashed out for now, I don't
think my going ahead to execute this plan makes the shared contact info
work any more difficult to do later.

--
Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley