[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Official EOL Policy

Anoop Atre anoop.atre at mnsu.edu
Tue Nov 22 15:30:46 EST 2011

At today's developer meeting there was some discussion on adopting an
official EOL policy, while there was agreement on the time frame we had
some disagreement on the wording. So this mail is to decide on the
wording of the official EOL policy for Evergreen releases.

The final version of the policy that came out of the meeting which we
can start with is as follows:

"The community will strive to provide support (bug fixes, updates,
documentation, etc) for a given release series until one month after two
subsequent stable release series have been made available."

Dan Scott mentioned that his would be acceptable as long as the
versioning page[1] includes a definition of "release series" and uses
the same terminology (consistency).

So the above policy translates into:

* Evergreen 2.0 release series would be maintained until 1 month after
the release of the Evergreen 2.2 series.

* Evergreen 2.1 would be maintained until 1 month after the release of
the Evergreen 2.3 series.

So at any given time the community will be supporting two release series
of Evergreen, excluding the one month overlap where there will be three
versions supported.

Aside from the wording I would propose that we send out a reminder
announcement about the EOL when the final beta version of the latest
release series is made available so folks can start testing their system
upgrades and are not caught off guard. (add task to release team list)

Please respond with a vote on the current wording of the policy or with
your version of the policy/thoughts.

Cheers

[1] http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=versioning
--