[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Release 2.1 Install Instruction Errors

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Oct 19 16:13:36 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 03:46:05PM -0400, Martha Driscoll wrote:
> I have been building servers and while going through the install
> instructions on the download page, I found some problems.  I hope
> it's ok to send this to the dev list.

Yep, that's great -  thanks Martha.

> Under Configuration and compilation instructions:
>
> The first paragraph says to "issue the following commands as the
> user Linux account".  This should be opensrf Linux account.

I wrote "user Linux account" to match how I actually build Evergreen on
a day-to-day basis. The old version of the instructions had you create
an "opensrf Linux account", download, untar, configure, and make
Evergreen under the "opensrf Linux account", but in most cases you'll
already have a regular user Linux account on the system that you can use
to do all of those things - and it tends to be a lot more convenient to
use that existing account for that purpose. So I'm not convinced this
should be changed back...

> Under Installation instructions:
>
> make STAFF_CLIENT_STAMP_ID=rel_2_1 install
>
>   should be
>
> make STAFF_CLIENT_STAMP_ID=rel_2_1_0 install

Hmm, the preceding sentence directs users to "Change the value of
the `STAFF_CLIENT_STAMP_ID` variable to match the version of the staff
client that you will use to connect to the Evergreen server" - and I'm
willing to lay odds that the version will be forgotten to be updated in
the README in future point releases. Ergo, I'm going to change it to
rel_2_1_x to match the general pattern for our releases. Hopefully that
will serve as a bit of a heads up for people reading it. Also, I can
change the version number in the HTML version on the server for now.

> Under Creating the database on a remote server:
>
> The create_database.sql script is referred to as
> create-database.sql. Also, the command example is missing the
> reference to the script:
>
> psql -vdb_name=<dbname> -vcontrib_dir=`pg_config --sharedir`/contrib
>
>   should be
>
> psql -vdb_name=<dbname> -vcontrib_dir=`pg_config --sharedir`/contrib
> -f create_database.sql

Good catch!

> Under Starting Evergreen:
>
> The example to start opensrf has a closing code tag.

Ah, thanks for catching that.