[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Release 2.1 Install Instruction Errors

Martha Driscoll driscoll at noblenet.org
Wed Oct 19 17:05:35 EDT 2011

> I wrote "user Linux account" to match how I actually build Evergreen on
> a day-to-day basis. The old version of the instructions had you create
> an "opensrf Linux account", download, untar, configure, and make
> Evergreen under the "opensrf Linux account", but in most cases you'll
> already have a regular user Linux account on the system that you can use
> to do all of those things - and it tends to be a lot more convenient to
> use that existing account for that purpose. So I'm not convinced this
> should be changed back...

Got it.  I didn't pay close enough attention to the preamble.  I tend to
create only the opensrf user on the evergreen servers so that's who my
regular user is.

>> Under Installation instructions:
>>
>> make STAFF_CLIENT_STAMP_ID=rel_2_1 install
>>
>>    should be
>>
>> make STAFF_CLIENT_STAMP_ID=rel_2_1_0 install
>
> Hmm, the preceding sentence directs users to "Change the value of
> the `STAFF_CLIENT_STAMP_ID` variable to match the version of the staff
> client that you will use to connect to the Evergreen server" - and I'm
> willing to lay odds that the version will be forgotten to be updated in
> the README in future point releases. Ergo, I'm going to change it to
> rel_2_1_x to match the general pattern for our releases. Hopefully that
> will serve as a bit of a heads up for people reading it. Also, I can
> change the version number in the HTML version on the server for now.

For those of us still in the blind-follower stage, I think having the
command example include rel_2_1_x will at least prevent us from running
the command as rel_2_1 which I did then couldn't login.  The only other
problem is how do you know what release number to put there?  It may
seem obvious, but since I downloaded something called
Evergreen-ILS-2.1.0a I may be inclined to put 2_1_0_a there.

I really like the commands that are set off to be runnable so I can cut
and paste, but I completely sympathize with the desire to have fewer
places to have to update when a new release comes out.

--
Martha Driscoll
Systems Manager