[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Suggestions for improving Evergreen's HTML README for online readers

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Wed Oct 26 13:12:06 EDT 2011

Hello,

Note: I am sending this email to both the dev list and the DIG list.

I have been working with my intern Travis Lilleberg on ways to improve
the EG README and the HTML version of the EG README, as part of our
attempt to have a single source of installation instructions. A lot of
the suggested changes that Travis' and I have come up with are meant
to increase the usability for helping those that are *only* following
HTML README instructions, and therefore not following the README
included with the EG source. For example, we are considering adding
instructions on how to "wget, un-tar, cd path/to/source" the EG source
files, which used to be mentioned in the older online installation
instructions.

Our concern is that if we add these changes that mostly only help HTML
README users, we are decreasing the readability of those that are only
following the downloaded README file.

- One simple approach is to just put a warning on the HTML README
suggesting that the downloaded README be the one to be followed
closely for installation. That way developers only have to focus their
efforts to maintain the regular README for one type of audience, i.e.
local readers and not both local and online readers.

- Instead, we can just add a quick note about running "wget, un-tar,
cd path/to/source" on the HTML README side only, or even add a
dedicated preamble to the regular  README meant for those only using
the HTML version (though visible to all readers).

- A whole new approach is assuming the EG 2.1 official docs will reuse
the HTML README content (which is one of my DIG to-dos), then DIG
folks like myself could add one of the suggested fixes above (or
others approaches) to make the official version friendlier to online
only readers. That way developers continue to focus only on the
regular audience.

I wondered what the community thinks of these ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Yamil