[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Suggestions for improving Evergreen's HTML README for online readers

Martha Driscoll driscoll at noblenet.org
Thu Oct 27 12:12:36 EDT 2011

I almost always follow the HTML instructions simply because it's easier
to have a browser window open under a terminal window.  If I'm
installing and trying to read the README, then I have to stop what I'm
doing to view the README or have a second terminal window open.

I'm a little confused about who HTML readers are vs. README readers.
Are they not the same people?  I would hope that both versions are as
close to identical as possible.  If you have to put a warning on the
HTML version that says to follow the included README, then what's the
point of having an HTML version?

I liked the "wget, un-tar, cd path/to/source" steps and miss them on the
new HTML page.  What's the down-side of keeping that in the README?
Taking a quick look at the phppgadmin and rt-4.0.1 README's, they both
start by saying where the source is located and how to untar them.
Basic steps for most people, but I don't think I've ever seen a README
without them.  Both websites link to the plain text README or INSTALL on
their respective githubs.

--
Martha Driscoll
Systems Manager