[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Item types in Template Toolkit

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Sep 13 09:34:57 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I've been looking at ways that we might be able to configure the item
type list on the advanced search screen of the Template Toolkit
catalog. What we would like to be able to do is list more specific
formats (e.g. DVD, Blueray, CD, cassette) that can be pulled from the
fixed fields rather than using a local MARC field to store this
information.

In looking at one of the e-mails Bill Erickson posted to the list, we
should be able to customize the item type list by using Server
Administration < Coded Value Maps. I came across a little trouble
because I couldn't save any of the coded values I created in the staff
client (I submitted a bug report on this at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/845096)), but I could see
how I might be able to create more specific videorecording item types
by creating maps based on the videorecording format record attribute.

My question relates to the best way to incorporate these in the item
type dropdown list. When looking at the search.tt2 and
coded_value_selector.tt2, I see that two record attributes (mattype,
item_type) can populate the item type dropdown menu. If there are
values for the mattype attribute, it will stop and only use the
mattype attributes. If there are no values for mattype, it will then
use the values created by the item_type record attributes. Am I
understanding this correctly?

Ideally, I think what we would like to do is to populate that dropdown
list with values that are pulled from several record attributes
(videorecording format, item_type, etc.) instead of just one record
attribute. Is there any way we could do that or is there any reason
why it would be inadvisable to do so?

Thanks!

Kathy Lussier

Kathy Lussier