[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Simple pick list in MARC Editor

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Sep 13 10:11:04 EDT 2011

>> That's actually already done in 2.1

Vaguely recall something was happening but getting it with 2.1 is fine by me!

IMHO, many libraries -- particularly specials and academics - are increasingly going to be demanding more from their ILS, and so functionality of this kind that allows us to get more out of our data is much appreciated.

Great work!

George

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Mike Rylander
Sent: September 13, 2011 09:48
To: Evergreen Development Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Simple pick list in MARC Editor

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Duimovich, George <George.Duimovich at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Scenario:
>         Library uses 9xx field(s) for local information.
>
> Requirement:
>         Simple HTML drop-down pick list for specific MARC subfield,
> comprising short listing, of say, 5-20 values (ie. No indexing /search
> of pick list required)
>
> E.g.
> <select name="MARC 923 subfield a">
> <option value="100">Blue</option>
> <option value="101">Green</option>
> <option value="102">Red</option>
> ...etc.
>
> Anybody play around with this kind of feature and/or explore implementing?
> How much work / trickiness to do?

By building on the SVF infrastructure (aka, Record Attributes), which can target fixed fields, tag+subfield combinations or general XPath, a mechanism could certainly be built to take the tag+subfield items and turn them into pseudo-controlled lists.  That would amount to UI work almost entirely.

> Related longer term -- would love to see the new authority
> functionality customizable for library selected custom local data, etc. (e.g. 9xx usage).
> E.g. non-MARC based authority control.

That's actually already done in 2.1. See:

 $ git log 063e907ad504270efd34e063f4784aee8621e493^..df5de4a008eef0518bda7a23543096dd65947985

and: http://www.esilibrary.com/esi/docs/?p=161

(Note: a special thanks goes to Berklee College of Music, who sponsored the Authority Control Set development.)