[OPEN-ILS-DEV] MARC editor enhancement

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:22:54 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Duimovich, George
<George.Duimovich at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca> wrote:
> Hey, great volunteer option!
>
> I guess there could be some trickiness to this, for example, supporting the
> simple drop downs (e.g. lang & country) vs. more dynamic drop downs where
> values are filtered/changed according to other fixed field selections and/or
> where some kind of validation can be added. [1]
>
> But it seems that several of the code listings are available public domain.
> E.g. Both language and country codes are already available in downloadable
> XML files:
> http://www.loc.gov/standards/codelists/languages.xml
> http://www.loc.gov/standards/codelists/countries.xml
>
> And other code lists available too:
> http://www.loc.gov/standards/valuelist/

Well, luckily (at least partially in 2.0 and more fully in for 2.1+)
most of the fixed field values that are discrete (not, say, a numeric
range) are available (with translatable labels!) in a set of
configuration tables.  In particular, take a look at:

 * config.coded_value_map and the view's based on that:
  - config.audience_map
  - config.item_form_map
  - config.language_map
  - config.videorecording_format_map
  - config.bib_level_map
  - config.item_type_map
  - config.lit_form_map
 * config.marc21_ff_pos_map
 * config.marc21_rec_type_map
 * config.marc21_physical_characteristic_type_map
 * config.marc21_physical_characteristic_subfield_map
 * config.marc21_physical_characteristic_value_map

Based on that we should be able to get pretty far, I think.  I don't
recall OTTOMH if there are any significant numeric-range type fixed
fields, but the tooltips and context menus for indicators on
datafields could certainly stand to be cleaned up in that respect (XML
files for English and French), or, even better, DB-ized like the
coded-value map tables.

Alex, IMO your best bet would be to investigate the sources of data
available in the modern Evergreen codebase and then present a sketch
of a plan (nothing exhaustive, just generalities) for reusing that
data in the MARC editor (or other interfaces).