[OPEN-ILS-DEV] MARC editor enhancement

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Wed Sep 21 12:49:31 EDT 2011

Hey, great volunteer option!

I guess there could be some trickiness to this, for example, supporting the simple drop downs (e.g. lang & country) vs. more dynamic drop downs where values are filtered/changed according to other fixed field selections and/or where some kind of validation can be added. [1]

But it seems that several of the code listings are available public domain. E.g. Both language and country codes are already available in downloadable XML files:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/codelists/languages.xml <http://www.loc.gov/standards/codelists/languages.xml>
http://www.loc.gov/standards/codelists/countries.xml

And other code lists available too:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/valuelist/

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan

[1] E.g. the whole "space as data" issue in fixed field 008 - some cataloguers used to entering in "space as data" while others expect system to magically deal with our space-as-data practice..

________________________________

From: open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Alex Reczkowski
Sent: September 21, 2011 11:25
To: open-ils-dev at list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] MARC editor enhancement

Hi Friends,

I'm relatively new to Evergreen and this list... so please forgive me if I don't follow protocol that you regulars know.

I've noticed a few recent posts about adding drop-downs for the fixed fields of the MARC editor:

http://libmail.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-dev/2011-August/007518.html

http://libmail.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-dev/2011-July/007359.html

This feels to me like a fairly straight-forward thing to program.  I'm willing (and would be wonderfully happy) to type up all of the possibilities for a drop-down for each of the fields if someone with more programming skills could help with that end of the project.  If given an example or shown the code where this would fit, I would be good to go, but then wouldn't know where to share this code so it could be added to the software.

It looks like this was discussed in 2009

http://list.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-dev/2009-May/004563.html

Which said:  "Just a lot of grunt work, but simple enough for anyone who wants to

volunteer (and assuming that transcribing such snippets is fair use or

comes from a public domain source)."

So... being new, I'm willing to put in my time doing the grunt work.  Any willing mentors?

-Alex

Alex Reczkowski
Supervisor, Technical Services
Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield's Public Library
1 Wendell Avenue
Pittsfield, MA 01201
413-499-9480 ext. 115
fax: 413-499-9489