[OPEN-ILS-DEV] #help Evergreen 2.2 Release

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Apr 5 14:56:45 EDT 2012

Hi Robert:

I apologize, I was supposed to respond to this weeks ago.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Soulliere, Robert
<robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca> wrote:
> Hi Anoop,
>
> Does the release-notes-writer role basically take what is in the raw release notes from the master file as added by developers here:
> http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/RELEASE_NOTES_2_2.txt;hb=master
>
> and get them into the official docs such as here?:
> http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.2/_release_notes.html

That's a good short term model, I think. We just started trying to
keep release notes up to date late in the 2.2 cycle, so they're pretty
limited this time around, but hopefully we'll get better in future
releases.

> If so, perhaps I can help with that and take on that role?

That would be great, in my opinion.

> Can we just use one source for that in the official docs or do we need to add a wiki page as well?

Yes, ideally we would only need one source for that. I would
personally prefer to avoid adding a wiki page to the mix.

> Also note that we have upgrade instruction in the official docs here:
> http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.2/_upgrading_the_evergreen_server.html
> -- this is based on the alpha release, but if you give me a few days heads up before the official release will be released, I could get those updated to reflect the official tarball version. It might also be good to have a few folks review the upgrade instructions chapter as well.

Yes, single-sourcing the upgrade instructions would be a really good
idea too. Just taking a quick peek at the current version, there are a
number of things that I think we would want to change. Holding an
official review would be a good idea, I think.

> In general I think DIG has more documentation ready to go for 2.2 than we did for past releases.
> See:
> http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.2/

Yes, it's exciting to see this progress! DIG++

Here's a crazy longer-term idea: what if, as part of the release
process, we pulled the documentation repository into the Evergreen
tarball - effectively replacing what we have in the /doc/ directory
today with the DIG documentation? We could do that manually, or
automate it as part of Thomas' release-cutting script, or we could use
git "submodules" (http://book.git-scm.com/5_submodules.html) to do it
more formally.

The advantage would be that users would get a copy of the Evergreen
documentation with the tarball - and it would be truly single sourced.
(We could also talk about building the HTML & PDF & ePub versions of
the documentation in the distributed tarball as well; depends on how
far we want to go with that).

Developers would need to be able to commit to the DIG repository if we
wanted to continue to maintain the install intructions and release
notes as we do today, and add upgrade instructions to our bailiwick,
but that seems to be a small price to pay for a pretty big win
overall.